Monday, May 14, 2012

Newspaper Nails Tutorial

Just a quick post tonight with some (very) old photos and a tutorial I made a while ago.  I really like the look that this creates, and it's very simple to do! 

Here is my most recent attempt at the newspaper nails that I was sporting for the Castle season 4 finale last Monday; (my Caskett 'shipper heart is still going crazy).  Since Castle is a writer, I thought this would be appropriate. Unfortunately, it turned out worse than my previous two attempts, and I was left very disappointed. 

2 coats Seche Vite

Base is Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear 'White On'.  I didn't really like this as a base for this one; I found it a bit stark and at times I was getting flashbacks of elementary school when people used to paint white-out on their nails. *Shudder*.  I wish I had something closer to "My Boyfriend Scales Walls' from the OPI Spiderman Collection.  I feel like that colour would have been better underwear for this. 

I used regular newsprint for most of the nails, but on my thumb I cut out letters to spell "CASTLE, always".  Because of the ink not wanting to transfer this time, it was impossible to read in person.  Grrr. 

Instagram effect

 On to the tutorial!  Please keep in mind that this was my first-ever tutorial, and was made quite a few months ago when my nails and cuticles were in a cringe-worthy state.



I hope that was easy enough to understand.  Excuse the font and the... cats. 

I think it didn't work the most recent time because I used a different, higher-quality newspaper and the ink was of better quality and therefore wouldn't transfer as easily. 

Once again, I would like to apologize for the state of my nails and cuticles in the following photos.  For your own safety, I advise you don't enlarge these. Seriously. 



That's some nice chipping right there.  And below, you'll see the mother of all air bubbles.  



As for what I have on my nails right now?  I got back home relatively late last night from dance competition, but couldn't bear to have naked nails for one more day so I quickly put on Orly 'Oui'.  This one was a birthday present from my sister, and I haven't worn it in a while and forgot how pretty it is.  Purple and gold duochrome with LOTS of shimmer/microglitter! 


3 coats 'Oui' with 2 coats Seche Vite


If you have any pointers or questions about the tutorial, or if you'd like to see more tutorials, please leave a comment.  I love reading comments! 

13 comments:

  1. Great tutorial! I can't ever get this to work with regular rubbing alcohol, I'll have to try again with mouthwash!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never actually tried with rubbing alcohol, because we didn't have any around the house. Since the mouthwash I use has a high alcohol content, it works just as well I'd assume. I does leave my hands a little minty-smelling, however.

      Delete
  2. I love the crossword nails! I have yet to try paper nails so thanks for taking the time to make a tutorial ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crossword and paper nails!! lovely manis... need to try soon *.*
    you have a lovely blog...


    www.lipglossaffairs.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  4. Newspaper nail art is very pretty. I did one a while back. It took me a while to do it but it was worth it .Beautiful nail polish colour in the last picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH MY GOD. I found your blog when I was searching for nail art. You do cute manis. But that's not why I'm freaking out. I saw this post about newsprint nails, and since I'd done them before, I started to skim the post to see how yours turned out. But then you had to go and mention you did these for the Castle finale. I LOVE when I find fellow Castle fans when I'm reading about other things I love :D I don't know about you, but I'm STILL freaking out, and muttering the word "Always" to myself. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha your comment made my day! :) I'm still freaking out over Always, and if I wasn't such a huge shipper I'd probably be embarrassed to admit how many times I've watched certain scenes. I saw your Tumblr and it's great; and congratulations on your paper and getting tweeted by Andrew Marlowe! :D

      Delete
    2. XD Thank you! It was a very exciting accomplishment :) & I think I know the certain scenes you may be referring to ;) (me too lol) hahaha

      Delete
  6. Thank you, the article is very petrifying, hopefully it can be useful for everyone.

    Obat Herbal Delirium
    Obat Penghilang Plak Di Dinding Arteri

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...